CAES invites university-member faculty to submit applications for the sixth annual CAES Summer Visiting Faculty Program (CSVFP), which runs from May 15-August 4, 2023. The primary objective of this 12-week program is to support and guide faculty from Boise State University, Idaho State University and University of Idaho in the development of a submission-ready research proposal in collaboration with a researcher at Idaho National Laboratory (INL), who will serve as co-PI.
Professional development, seminars and informational sessions will be aimed at building the faculty member's understanding of the US Department of Energy and its core capabilities, INL's strategic initiatives and areas of interest, and best practices in cross-institutional collaboration. Long-term objectives of the program include continued partnerships between the faculty member, INL and the CAES consortium, strengthening the consortium's inclusive research community, and support of STEM research and education across Idaho through collaborative university and laboratory networks.
This program is primarily intended for faculty members who have no prior experience with national laboratories, or who are new to working with CAES.
Interdisciplinary projects are encouraged, including societal dimensions of INL, CAES, and regional research interests. Women, BIPOC, and faculty members from historically marginalized and underserved identity groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications are due February 28, 2023 at 5pm MT.
Please note that the following attachments should be uploaded alongside your application:
1. CSVFP 2023 Application Project Description
2. Applicant’s Curriculum Vitae
Each application will be reviewed by INL researchers, your university’s CAES Associate Director, and the CSVFP Lead. Application proposals in their preliminary or ideation phase will be considered in the same manner as those that are more fully developed.
For questions related to the application process, accommodations, and CAES/INL, please email the CSVFP Program Lead, Dr. Hillary K. Fishler at: Hillary.Fishler@inl.gov or your university's associate director.
CSVFP application awards include:
1. A $10,000 stipend for faculty labor (contingent upon on-time completion of required expectations and deliverables).
2. Paid travel expenses for the faculty to travel twice to the CAES building in Idaho Falls: May 15-17 for in-person interactions, collaboration, and network building; and August 4 for oral presentation of the final proposals.
3. Up to 80 hours of in-kind salary for the INL Co-PI in support of proposal planning and writing.
Professional Development opportunities include:
1. 12-week intensive joint proposal writing with federal partner
2. CAES Affiliate status & integration into the CAES Consortium community
3. CAES sponsored workshops, seminars, and future funding opportunities.
If your proposed project is selected, you will be invited to spend the week of May 15-17, at CAES in Idaho Falls interacting with INL researchers to begin developing a joint proposal and identify potential external DOE funding sources. (This program is not designed for those seeking Internal funding from any of the four CAES entities, including LDRD.)
Go here for an overview of the program and a list of past participants.